ZZPerformance worked closely with competition cams to design each one of our grinds. Using lobe profiling techniques other manufactures do not have the capability to do, ZZP cam grinds continue to make more power than other manufactures even at the same advertised durations!
The Competition cams "VS" cam was designed for use with totally stock heads. Stock springs, keepers, retainers, lifters and pushrods are fine for shift points up to 6000rpm. 90# valve springs, LS style retainers are recommended for shift points up to 6300rpm. 125#/130#/140# valve springs, titanium retainers, LS7 or Comp OER lifters, ZZP or Comp Cams pushrods are recommended for shift points over 6300rpm. The VS cam uses a tight base on the exhaust lobe and a steep ramp rate to keep the computer happy. This cam will not set the P0300 code* and can be installed on a lightly modified 3800 all the way to radical. It works very well with an intercooler and since it doesn’t have very much overlap, it doesn't bleed off as much boost as some of the other cams making it an excellent choice for use with a small blower like the M90. It is recommended that you change your valve springs and retainers when your springs have over 90,000 miles on them to prevent valve float.
When you change to the LS "beehive" style valve spring, you must also change to the LS style steel or titanium retainer. All of the springs and retainers options that we sell are all the common LS beehive style.
Look for gains of 35-50 hp depending on your car's current configuration.
- Digital Ken used the VS cam with totally stock heads, stock mufflers and dyno'd over 400 HP to the wheels with his Stattama CSC kit!
- Zooomer used the VS cam with ZZP stage 3 heads and 1.7 rockers on the intake to run 11.79 in 2002.
- Bridgett used the VS cam in her 2001 Monte Carlo, and was the fastest FWD Monte Carlo in the country. Her car has run a best of 11.78 @ 116+ mph and dyno's over 420WHP!
- Bill Hooper uses the VS cam with totally stock heads and has trap speeds in excess of 110mph! He dyno'd at 341whp.
- Rob Archer made 285.5 WHP and 381.4 ft-lbs torque with the VS cam -- click here to view his dyno, mods, and car!
Click here to see before & after dynos of the VS Cam by Jason Bagnell...
Still trying to decide between a Stage "X" cam and one of ours? Check this out: http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=1550443
*Some cars (especially those with headers, lower compression, higher mileage, cold spark plugs, 160 thermostats or race gas) could set the P0300 code on extended idling.